Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Rugby, My newest adventure!! (By, Jason)




On the 27 of October 2007 my small amount of Rugby preparation culminated with my first rugby match. I started practicing and learning the game a little over a month ago. The reason why? My 15 year old didn't want to play football so I suggested that he come up to Utah State University and see if they would let him practice with them.
After watching him practice for a few weeks I decided to strap on the boots and give the sport a whorl. My first practice I pushed my body so hard that I almost lost my lunch and breakfast, it was the hardest I had pushed my body up to that point; and I am in relatively good shape for 38.
I wouldn’t say that I was nervous, I was extremely apprehensive for the unknown. I have played hard in practice but the game was going to much harder with harder hits, faster runs, and experience on the other side of the ball. USU played a Salt Lake City club team “Haggis”, a very experienced team with several members of world cup and international players.
About 20 minutes into the game I got the call to come in and play Prop, replacing a injured player. With in the first five minutes I had my first rugby injury, a ¾ inch cash just above the ear lobe and running horizontal. Not a big deal until the referee notices it about 10 minutes later and sent me out to be patched up. The trainer put on a few steri-strips on it and I went in again midway through the second half until the bandages started to fall off about 10 minutes later. I was taken out of the game and watched USU play a well played game in a loosing effort 10-20.
I had a great time despite my aches and pains I am glad that I took up the sport. I will play as long as my body will allow me too.
follow the link below to view some great rugby hits.
http://www.break.com/index/rugbyhits.html